Street Address : 181 Sydenham Street
A German Jew by the name of Singer invented the modern sewing machine, but that is not why this next building is significant. Built in 1891 by the Gildersleeve family, the hall in the second storey was used as a shtiebl (mini-shul) in 1908 and 1910-1911. There were at least three Jewish congregations in the city at that time; according to the Kingston City Directory, the group that worshipped here called themselves the “Sons of Jacob” (or B’nai Israel).
The father of the current owner, Eric Simkins, purchased this brick building with the wonderfully decorated skyline in 1958. Currently, the second storey is used for residential apartments.