Street Address: 119 Clergy St.
In 1864 George Mink, cabman, was living on the northwest corner (lot 192) of Queen and Wellington Streets with his family of seven. At least six other tenants lived on the property owned by Samuel Mucklestone. The next year he moved to the northeast corner (lot 330) of Princess and Clergy, a property owned by Robert Carson. Assessment records still listed him as a cabman, one of nine tenants on this lot, while the city directory described him as a saloon, livery stable and stage proprietor. In 1867 he was listed as the proprietor of the Stage House, a saloon and restaurant at 71 Princess Street (street numbers changed over time), but no mention was made under livery stables. Although frequently charged with selling liquor without a license, he continued to run his tavern as late as January 1870, when “a coloured youth” of eighteen, who had “amused himself on Saturday by throwing tumblers through the windows of Mr. Geo. Mink’s saloon on Princess Street” was sent to jail for a month. At the end of 1871, he renewed his cab license for the last time. On 9 February 1873, he died from paralysis at the age of 64. Mrs. Mink continued to live at the same place, working as a dressmaker through 1876. By 1877 she was no longer listed, having moved to Detroit to be near one of her daughters. George was not the only black businessman in early Kingston, but he was by far the best known and most successful.
Additional information :
Notice of ‘coloured youth breaks windows’ at Mink’s January 1870
Notice of Mink’s death 9th February 1873
Documentation of Mrs. Mink working as a dressmaker after George’s death 1873
Return to Black History Map
NEXT SECTION >